5 Things that I’ve Learned in the 5 Years Since You’ve Been Gone…
1. Anger gives us energy. It will be your greatest fuel in the times you need it. It serves a purpose, but if we allow it to fuel us for too long, it will turn into other things. Like bitterness. Anger is good. Bitter is not. And only your spirit knows when it’s time to let go.
2. Justice is an illusion in this world. It is not a power that the flawed human being can carry out. And while we will never witness true justice here on earth, there is one force that can deliver it. I have made peace with this and fully trust God to know something that I don’t and to deliver what He sees fit.
3. Forgiveness is a letting go of control of outcome and of other people’s choices. That’s all I know for sure about that.
4. People will use others’ tragedies for a lot of things… clout, agenda, salicious gossip. One thing I’ve seen the most of though is distraction; we, as people, become caught up in others’ tragedies or problems to distract us from dealing with our own life’s tragedies, problems, and issues. Healing ourselves should always be the goal – before we could ever hope to help others.
5. Loneliness is the biggest threat to the soul. When we are lonely, our souls attract dark, dingy energies. I.e. We attract bad people. Ironically enough, the only cure to loneliness is being alone. Learning to enjoy our own company and getting to know ourselves is the only way to defeat this extreme danger to our soul.
**It should be noted that I could never have come to these conclusions had I not had the experience of being married to Scott. I could not love again without having loved and been loved by him. I could not enjoy life the way that I do now had he not lived the way that he did. The guilt I once felt for this has now turned into immense gratitude. And I write about this in my next blog, but while I have learned so much since this loss, I also learned a lot while he was here too.
If you feel so compelled to share, please do. What’s mine is yours. Take what works and leave the rest.